One of the toughest problems (not really a problem when you think about it) when smoking a cigar is deciding what to drink with it. I tend to go for a Scotch like a Macallan; however, I do tend to stray for a craft beer occasionally. Over the weekend, while smoking with a lifelong buddy, he brought a Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA and it was a delicious compliment to the cigars we smoked. This was the first time I have had this beer and after doing a little bit of research I admit... I have been living under a rock! Now, I am not a beer snob by any means (hence the cigar blog) so if you have anymore recommendations I would love to hear them.
Here is a list of 5 great beers to drink and what to smoke with them:
|Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA|
1. Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA- This smooth and creamy craft beer is DELICIOUS. Esquire Magazine called it "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." Despite the high alcohol content, you don't get the alcohol bite with this beer. This is a great beer to have with a mild, creamy and very smooth cigar like a Macanudo or what we smoked the Diamond Crown Robusto.
|Stone Brewing Imperial Russian Stout|
2. Stone Brewing Imperial Russian Stout
- I first tried this beer when I lived in San Diego as I was looking for a really good local beer. I found exactly what I was looking for in this dark, rich and strong beer! This Stout is thick and full of flavors like roasted coffee and anise. This beer is only available during spring and is usually released during April so pick one up if you see it. This is the perfect beer to enjoy with a strong Nicaraguan like Padron.
3. Leffe Brown
- Leffe Brown is an authentic abbey beer. Medium in body- it's deep, dark brown color and its full, slightly sweet flavor can be ascribed to the use of darkly roasted malt. This beer pairs great with a medium bodied Dominican like an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos.
|Anchor Brewing Porter|
4. Anchor Brewing Porter
- I first had this beer after reading it was #6 in the top 25 beers of 2013. This delicious dark beer is surprisingly light on the palette with roasted coffee and chocolate flavors. Not a storng beer by any means but a tasty sidekick to any mild to medium Nicaraguan cigars like Davidoff Nicaragua.
|Chimay Grande Reserve Blue Cap|
5. Chimay Grande Reserve Blue Cap
- This Belgium beer is known for its thick creamy foam, but don't let that fool you, it has a powerful aroma and complex flavors. It is also aged for 5 years before its release which add a balance factor that makes it outstanding. Enjoy this with an medium to full bodied Dominican like a Litto Gomez Diez or Davidoff Millenium Blend.
If anyone has any favorites, please let me know. I am always looking for great pairings!